A few months ago, I deferred my entry for tomorrow’s NYC marathon. I am still conflicted about it. On the one hand, it makes me sad that I didn’t follow through on a goal. On the other, I ran a 5K today and I’ve already taken two recovery naps. So running 8 of those back to back seems like a terrible way to spend a Sunday. In other words, I’m still working off a lifetime of laziness. Here’s a permanent record of the reasons excuses for why I’ll be on the sidelines tomorrow instead of a bastion of hope for future generations of runners:
- Extreme laziness
- 26 miles seems really far
- It was too hot during the peak training months
- I drank wine and/or beer too many nights before training runs
- My ankle hurt one day when I should have been training
- Fear of nipple chafing
- The snooze button
- Large blister on the bottom of my foot on August 19, 2011
- Apple Pucker and commemorative key rings set me back at least two weeks
- I am an amazing spectator
- With a little persuasion/nagging Anne will run it with me next year
- The scene on last year’s Biggest Loser when one of the contestants had an emergency number 2 stop at a port-o-john during the marathon
- Still trying to find an appropriate pose for the race photographers*
- Hurricane Irene
- Four day delay in getting new sneakers after my old pair got wet and I refused to run in them again.
- I can’t set the world record on a course that doesn’t begin and end in the same location.
- Inner thigh chafing
- Who wants to go to Staten Island?
- Didn’t want to overdo it with the carbo loading
- The 1%
- I now have another year to think of clever running related blog topics
- I wanted to refocus my attention on blogging
- It seemed stupid to train during the summer just in case the rapture happened
- I was worried that I would hit the wall and die at mile 24 and not finish. Just like I did in this stupid post.
Good luck to everyone running! See you next year…
* For example:
Pingback: A Reflection on my 2012 Goals that I’m Retroactively Setting for Myself Right Now | Rob Complains About Things
Pingback: Loyal Blog Readers: Please Help Me Get Less Fat. | Rob Complains About Things